Clerk of Courts Home
Clerk of Circuit Court and Register in Probate
Welcome to the Clerk of Courts Website. In this website you will find information on legal proceedings and programs, judges, the courthouse, fines and more. Use the drop down menus at the top or the quick links below to navigate the site.
The Clerk of Courts office handles all of the events and information for the Dane County Courthouse. A list of court employees is also available on our contact us page.
We may be reached by phone at (608) 266-4311.
Please have your case number or citation number ready.
Our phone hours are:
Monday through Friday, 7:45 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.
Callers will be connected to a Customer Service Rep, who will answer questions or forward you on to appropriate court staff. COURT STAFF CANNOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE. The calls are answered in the order in which they are received, therefore, you may experience longer hold times while we assist other callers.
Temporary Restraining Orders (TROs) take approximately 30 minutes to process. Please plan on arriving no later than 4:00 PM to ensure same-day issuance.
2019CV000084 - The League of Women Voters of Wisconsin et al vs. Dean Knutson et al Please click the following link to view the Summons and Complaint for the above case: Summons and Complaint - Filed January 10th, 2019
- As of January 28th 2019, the following case types will be available for voluntary eFiling: JC (Juvenile CHIPS), JO (Juvenile Civil Law and Ordinance Violations), JV (Juvenile Deliquency) and TP ( Termination of Parental Rights)
- The following case type are currently available for voluntary eFiling: JM (Juvenile Civil Commitment), JG (Juvenile Guardianship ), and AD (Adoption).
- eFiling is now mandatory for CV (Civil), SC (Small Claims), FA (Family), PA (Paternity), CF (Criminal Felony), CM (Criminal Misdemeanor), CT (Criminal Traffic), TR (Traffic), FO (Forefeiture/Non-Traffic Ordinance Violation), PR (Probate), GN (Guardianship), ME (Civil Commitment), FJ (Foreign Judgment), TJ (Transcript of Judgment), CL (Construction Lien), CO (Condominium Lien), HL (Hospital Lien), and OL (Other Lien) case types. All new cases in these case types will be eFiled. Look HERE for frequently asked questions.
- Documents requiring the signature of a court official must include a blank 3" top margin on page 1 and a blank 1/2" top margin on all subsequent pages. Court software will place the court official's electronic signature in the heftier margin on the first page, along with the filed stamp and a header containing the case number, document number, filed date, and pagination. The header will be applied to the top 1/2" of all pages of documents filed with the courts, whether or not a court official signature is necessary. More information can be found here.
- You are required to file copies of documents instead of originals. Keep all originals, as the court may ask to inspect them at a later time. This new policy prevents original documents from being shredded after scanning into our electronic record keeping system. Go here for more information.
- The eFiling system will permit filings received by 11:59 pm on a particular business day to be stamped as filed on that day. The same will hold true for non-eFilers who submit filings via fax. Remember that only filings that have no associated filing fee and are fifteen or fewer pages in length are permitted to be submitted by fax.
- To request to convert an existing case to an eFiled case, please fax your request to the attention of Carlo Esqueda at (608) 266-9286, or send via U.S. mail. Cases may take several days to convert to an eFiled case depending on the location of the physical file, its age and the number of documents that will be required to scan into the case prior to conversion.
- When submitting a new eFiled case, if any party will need an interpreter, please make sure to check that an interpreter is needed and select the appropriate language in the party screen.
For weather related building closures, please check the "Weather Information" tab at www.wicourts.gov.